Wednesday, April 2, 2008

He knows the number of your days

It was a year ago today that the cancer that lived in Karin's body was named and given a stage. Today was also the first day she took chemo. I remember her calling me from the bathroom in the Kaiser lab while she was peeing in a cup for them to tell me the awful news. She had hide in the bathroom to tell me because Jeff did not want her to worry me. (Like I wasn't going to find out?) :) It is hard to imagine how one day can forever, I mean F O R E V E R, change you but that is exactly what happened. This scripture is coming to mind:
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16
God knew all along how many days Karin would have and it would not be enough for those of us left behind.
Funny story to make you laugh. About 2 years ago Karin got this bright idea to rip out the carpet in the downstairs of their house. She moved all the furniture, pulled out all the pad, all the carpet and the tack strip in the cement slab foundation and then cleaned it all up. She did all this WHILE JEFF WAS AT WORK. It was actually smart thinking on her part. She knew if she riped out the carpet Jeff would be forced to buy new carpet. And it worked. She's was a smart gal.
The day Karin started radiation she called me right after it was over to tell me that the radiologist was a cutie. She also told me that as she lay on that bed about to be radiated she was getting ready to ask the cutie pie how long she had to live. The words were literally getting ready to come out of her mouth and God spoke to her and said, "Don't you trust me?" She replied "yes." and never thought to ask again. What am amazing girl.

1 comment:

Suitepea said...

Sometimes, when I'm driving and I see her Venti Miracle bumper sticker and smile because I know it is someone who's life she touched. Other times, I wipe away the tears and hope noone can see...
Her writing is still on the Celebration rolodex, others in town who didn't ever know her are now wearing pink every month to support her family! We will never forget her, as she left fingerprints everywhere!
We are still praying for all of her family.God bless you!
Alisa